Patrick A. Hotovy, MD, From York, Nebraska, Named the 2018 Family Physician of the Year
The Family Physician of the Year award is given annually to a Family Physician who exemplifies a compassionate commitment to improving the health and well-being of the people and communities throughout Nebraska. Dr. Patrick Hotovy was honored at the State Capitol by Lt. Governor Mike Foley on September 17, 2018 as the recipient of this year’s award.
Dr. Hotovy began his family medicine journey at the University of Nebraska Medical Center School of Medicine. After graduating in 1989, he then completed his residency at the Lincoln Family Practice Program and the University of Nebraska Medical Center. After finishing his residency in 1992, he began practicing in York, Nebraska at the York Medical Clinic. During his time in York, Dr. Hotovy has been heavily involved in the medical and greater community. He has served on boards for medical, school and faith-based organizations, and is currently President for the Nebraska Academy of Family Physicians Foundation.
- He is heavily involved with the SERPA-ACO serving multiple positions over the last seven years including secretary, vice president, president and the lead physician at York Medical Clinic.
- Dr. Hotovy has been a board member and committee chair for Epworth Village for over 20 years.
- He has served various leadership positions including board president for the York Public Schools Board of Education.
- He presently serves as President for York Public Schools Foundation.
- Dr. Hotovy has served as a First United Methodist Church Trustee and has been on several committees.
- He has been a longtime preceptor and believes in mentoring young physicians.
- In addition, to all of this work Dr. Hotovy volunteers his time each Wednesday during the school year cooking for his church youth group. It is definitely his labor of love as he spends his day off planning and preparing meals for the youth in his church.
Within the nomination packet we received for Dr. Hotovy, one of his nominators stated: “I cannot think of a better candidate for Family Physician of the Year than Dr. Pat Hotovy. He is a fantastic, forward thinking physician and truly a great human being. He brings excellent leadership to his peers, community and students. However, his mentorship is what I have come to value most. Dr. Hotovy serves as our lead physician at York Medical Clinic, and I also work with him on the leadership team in SERPA-ACO. He is open minded to those he works with and always willing to provide direction.” Another nominator commended his work with the NAFP Foundation and called him the “Heart and Soul of the Foundation!”
Dr. Hotovy is an instrumental member of the Nebraska medical community. His commitment to the field is evident through his dedication to his work and community. The NAFP is thankful for his commitment to serving others.
As the 2018 Nebraska Family Physician of the Year, Dr. Hotovy becomes a candidate for the 2019-2020 American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Family Physician of the Year. The Nebraska Academy of Family Physicians (NAFP) is a Constituent Chapter of the American Academy of Family Physicians which represents 131,400 physicians and medical students nationwide. Approximately one in five of all office visits are made to Family Physicians. Today, Family Physicians provide more care for America’s underserved and rural populations than any other medical specialty. Family Medicine’s cornerstone is an ongoing, personal patient-physician relationship focused on integrated care. The Mission of the Nebraska Academy is to promote, support, and serve its members as they strive to improve the health of all Nebraskans.