The Nebraska Academy of Family Physicians exists to promote, support, and serve our members as they strive to improve the health of all Nebraskans.
With more than 1,300 members, the Nebraska Academy of Family Physicians (NAFP) represents family physicians in Nebraska. The NAFP is a constituent chapter of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), which has more than 120,900 members. Family physicians offer the largest single primary care specialty in the state. They practice in all sizes of communities throughout Nebraska. Because of their training, family physicians can care for approximately 90% of the problems their patients present to them. Approximately one in four of all office visits are made to family physicians. Today, family physicians provide more care for America's underserved and rural populations than any other medical specialty. Family medicine's cornerstone is an ongoing, personal patient-physician relationship focused on integrated care.
The NAFP is the untiring advocate of the people of Nebraska and the family physicians who care for them. It promotes excellence in health care and the betterment of the health of the people of Nebraska. The NAFP believes in access to quality, cost-effective, comprehensive care for all Nebraskans. The NAFP strives to provide responsible advocacy for and education of patients and the public in all health-related matters. Family physicians, along with other primary care specialties, are leaders in providing the patient-centered medical home concept. The NAFP encourages the provision of quality and innovative education for practicing physicians, residents, and medical students that embodies the art and science of medicine.
Family physicians are trained through medical schools and a three-year family medicine residency program. The majority of practicing Family Physicians keep up with certification from the American Board of Family Medicine, which means they must pass a test every 10 years and average at least 50 hours of continuing medical education each year.
The NAFP offers a wide range of programs and services to meet the needs of our members. We help them by providing programs, information and resources to assist in their journey. The NAFP is dedicated to these goals:
- Advocating for cost effective, comprehensive, quality health care for all Nebraskans and for the family physicians who serve them.
- Creating value to our current family physicians and promoting family medicine to students and residents.
- Providing relevant practice enhancement resources to assist family physicians in providing cost effective, comprehensive, quality health care for Nebraskans of all ages.
- Providing high quality continuing medical education in Nebraska.
- Maintaining a strong, sustainable Academy through effective Board composition and operation.